Monday, August 22, 2011

Wild Animal Sightings

There has been recent sightings of animals that many confuse to be a mountain lion. While there was a mountain lion hit by a car in Milford that had been in the area, the possibility of another is extremely low.

What is likely observed, it a coyote, or a bobcat - both of which are more prevalent in our region. The Valley Independent Sentinel had an article regarding a wild animal encounter on Crystal Lane, which as I post this is unconfirmed.

This NYTimes article has a photo of the mountain lion hit by a car in Milford in June.

This map has a informal listing of animal sightings in the area of Shelton.

If you see an unknown animal, and it is safe for you to do so, snap a picture with your camera or cellphone. It will prove valuable for identification purposes.

1 comment:

Debbie Flamini said...

I was the one who saw the large cat with the long tail on Crystal Lane. I've lived on this street for 10 years and have seen many coyotes in my neighborhood. 2 years ago, my neighbor and myself spotted a bobcat (large cat/short tail). I have never seen an animal like the one I saw yesterday unless there was a glass wall between us. I can't tell you what is was; but I can tell you what it was not. It was not a coyote, house cat, deer, fox, bear, turkey, turtle or bobcat. It was a cat the size of a medium dog with a tail so long that it's black tip would've dragged on the ground had it not curled up at the end. You people can tell me all day it was a bobcat or coyote, I know what I saw.