Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Commentary on cases in court

One purpose for this blog is to communicate with reporters efficiently. There are a couple of matters involving Shelton subjects upon which I typically blog about, that are in court. An interesting article appears in the NYTimes about jurors doing research or commenting about court cases in which they are serving.

I am not a juror on any case at the moment (though I have performed that public service duty on a civil case in Milford where I was elected the jury foreman). The article focuses on the aspect of impartiality and only considering the facts vetted and presented via the court process. The article did make me reflect upon this blog and the communications it makes.

As Chairman of the Conservation Commission, I have been called in the past to give testimony on our practices, and I am currently scheduled to give depositions in 2 separate cases brought against the City and/or agents of the City. I want to clearly state in advance how this blog will function as it relates to such proceedings.

1. Wiacek farm being acquired by the City of Shelton as Open Space via eminent domain. I was called to give testimony in this case some time ago (I think it was 2007). The case had two parts, both of which have been decided: Was the City in the right to use eminent domain proceedings to acquire the land (court ruled yes), and was the valuation paid to the property owners appropriate (court recently ruled no, and ordered an adjustment). Since the case was in the hands of the court for decision, I have felt I could make comments on news articles reporting on the results. The BOA may appeal the valuation ruling, but I have no involvement or affect upon that so I continue to offer comments on articles related to this.

2. Wiacek farm, process of how staff enforced or enacted eminent domain proceedings. I've been asked to give deposition in this case and will not be commenting on any news articles directly related to the case while it is in trial. (though I will enter raw news accounts in the blog for posterity and possible later reference)

3. Canal area zone change, process of how the Planning & Zoning Commission enacted a zone change for the area near Canal Street and Riverview Park. I've been asked to give deposition in this case and will not be commenting on any news articles directly related to the case while it is in trial. (though I will enter them in the blog for posterity and possible later reference).

I have received feedback over the years from all the reporters who cover Shelton, stating that this blog method of providing more in-depth information is a valuable tool for them to reference. I hope the reporters understand my decision regarding blogging about these specific subjects while being contested in court. The blog will continue, except for these 2 cases until they are resolved.

No comments: